Cyberpunk 2077 is a new battle royal game that has, in just a few days – since it’s released in 2020 – accumulated the largest online active player base of all time. Cyberpunk 2077 has left behind the biggest titles of the online world, becoming to be the most popular game on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
Cyberpunk 2077 Lag
That being said, no matter how incredible online games maybe, it’s not something one would perfect, as it comes with a number of performance-related errors and lag problems.
And with a game as competitive and serious as Cyberpunk 2077, having smooth, glitch-free gameplay is a must. As a result, our technical team has devised a list of workarounds and bug fixes that you can use to get rid of that pesky Cyberpunk lag.
How To Fix Cyberpunk Lag Spikes
Before we get on with more complex workarounds, let’s start things off with some general setting changes which can greatly affect how your PC/laptop runs cyberpunk 2077. Let’s start with the system requirements as here lies the root of the problem.
Since Cyberpunk is one of the more demanding games of the current generation, meeting these requirements is a must. Players who are playing it on setups that just pass the minimum requirements, we have some news for you. Lag is imminent.
Cyberpunk 2077 System Requirements
One way for you to get rid of the lag and FPS drops is to drop your settings to the lowest possible ones available. However, there is a possibility that the problem will still exist. The best possible solution for you is to upgrade your PC to Cyberpunk 2077’s recommended system requirements. For more details, check out the list below:
- Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7,10
- Processor: intel Corei5-3570K / AMD FX-8310
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVidia GTX 780 or Radeon RX470
- DirectX: Version 12
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 70 GB available space ( SSD Recommended)
If you meet the above-mentioned requirements and are still coming across the Cyberpunk lag, then here are some universal changes you can imply to get Cyberpunk 2077 to run smoother.
However, keep in mind that since all gaming rigs are set up differently, some of these workarounds might not work for everyone.
- Lower the game’s resolution
- Change fullscreen to windowed fullscreen
- Close unused/background applications
- Disable Game DVR
- Repair your PC’s registry
- Update display and other drivers
- In the NVidia control panel, manage 3D settings, set the “power management mode” to “prefer maximum performance.” (For NVidia users only)
- Try turning off the shader cache in NVidia Control Panel. (For NVidia users only)
- Set “High priority” to the game in Task Manager.
- Set Power settings to “Maximum Performance”
- Increase PC performance by disabling visual effects. To do this, navigate to the Control Panel and select “System and Security”. After that, click on System and then select “Advanced system setting”. From there, click on Settings under Performance and choose “Adjust for best performance”. Apply and you’re good to go.
- Select “High Performance” under Power Options (Laptop users)
- Have charger plugged in for maximum performance (Laptop users)
These are some of the general workarounds you can find in the world of video games. If you are still coming across the Cyberpunk 2077 lag, then look into some more complex fixes. Check out the details below:
Cyberpunk 2077 Stuttering Fix
If you are facing stuttering issues in Cyberpunk 2077 Mobile & PC, then we highly recommend you to change your paging file size. This stuttering fix might help some players with their Cyberpunk lag.
- Open file explorer.
- Right-click on This PC and click Properties.
- On the left-hand side of the window, click Advanced system settings.
- Click Settings under the performance tab.
- Click on advanced and under virtual memory, click Change.
- Ensure that Automatically manage paging file size for all drives is unticked
- Lastly, check your hard drive. (If you have a spare SSD I highly recommend you ensure your page file is only on the SSD). Now make sure the custom size is set, and at the bottom of the window, there should be a tab named Recommended. Change the initial value to what the recommended value is, as well as the maximum value
- Lastly, hit Set then OK, and finally, click on the Apply button.
Cyberpunk 2077 FPS Guide
If you are coming across FPS drops in Cyberpunk, here is something you can change to raise your FPS to a much more suitable level. This FPS guide can help you with those pesky drops but be warned as changing the .ini files is not recommended by the developers.
- Navigate to “C:\Users\<Your PC Name>\AppData\Local\TslGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor”
- Open “Engine.ini”
- Paste this code at the bottom on a separate line: FrameRateCap=0
- Save the file
Cyberpunk 2077 Steam Launch Options
Update: Might not work after the recent update
There are a few launch options, you can set to reduce Cyberpunk 2077 lag which can substantially improve your gameplay. To add these, go to Steam, right-click on Cyberpunk 2077, and select “Properties”. Once there, click on “Launch Options” and add the following:
“-refresh 144 -maxMem=13000 -malloc=system -force-feature-level-11-0 -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4”
The end result will look something like this:
If you wish to make further changes, and to further explore the details, on the above-mentioned launch options, check out the list below:
- Change “144” to your monitor’s maximum refresh rate
- Change “13000” to the amount of RAM you want to allocate to Cyberpunk in MB. Don’t allocate all of your RAM
- “-sm4” will change shaders from DX11 to DX10 and will remove some distracting reflections from the game.
- “-mallow=system” will force Windows to handle memory allocation
- “-USEALLAVAILABLECORES” should make Cyberpunk utilize all your CPU cores, but it’s uncertain if it still helps as the game should be able to do this on its own now.
Cyberpunk 2077 Server Lag
With all of these workarounds in play, if you are still coming across lag, it might be the Cyberpunk server lag who is at fault here. Though we can not do much about this lag and its fix since the servers are under the responsibility of the developers, we can make a couple of alterations to increase your ping and hence, lay waste to the Cyberpunk server lag. This includes increasing your bandwidth, restricting internet access for others, and using a wired connection.
For those of you who are facing the infamous Cyberpunk 2077 Network Lag Detected error, then we have a separate solution, one which will guarantee a fix.
There are a handful of solutions out there to get rid of that Cyberpunk 2077 lag. However, these workarounds are somewhat complex and tricky as they require you to get into your PC’s settings and make a few alterations which could have other consequences as well.
On a side note, if you wish to get better at Cyberpunk 2077 and want to give yourself a boost, then we have written a comprehensive guide, detailing tips and tricks for everything Cyberpunk 2077. Check out our Cyberpunk 2077 Tips and Tricks guide for more information.
How To Easily Fix Slow PC Performance In Cyberpunk 2077
If you want to fix Slow PC performance & FPS drop issues in Cyberpunk 2077 you will need to follow these steps. Check them out right here
PC performance issues in Cyberpunk 2077 have been causing a lot of lag, and low FPS for players, while CD Projekt RED has created a wonderful game, it will hamper your enjoyment of it if you don’t get a smooth and seamless performance. If you want to fix PC performance issues in Cyberpunk 2077, here’s what you need to do.
Update Windows: Make sure that your Windows 10 is running with all the latest updates and not running into issues all on its own.
Clear Temp Files: Make sure to delete or move the temp files that have been stagnating in your PC for a long time.
Enough Space: Cyberpunk 2077 is going to need about 70 GB of space, but we recommend that you keep around 100 GB of space aside just for the game.
RAM: Make sure that you have at least 8 GB or more of Memory so that your PC does not run into any issues.
Turn Off V Sync: Your monitor and GPU might not be in sync and it is recommended to turn off V Sync.
GFX Settings: Make sure to fine-tune the Cyberpunk 2077’s graphic settings to that which your PC can handle.
Update Drivers: It is important that you update your graphics card and its software before playing Cyberpunk 2077 so that it runs smoothly.